Updated: Apr 1
500g short grain rice (risotto/ sushi rice)
1 litre water
1x tin (400ml) coconut milk/ cream
1x rectangular or square dish
Filling/toppings/ flavouring to taste
1. Bring water to a boil, add 500g rice to the water.
2. Place lid on the pot and let it boil for 10min (be careful not to let the fluids cook over), after the 10min add the coconut milk and let it simmer for another 10min/ until all the fluids are absorbed by the rice and the rice is cooked.
3. Add fillings/ toppings to taste and let it cool down a little bit.
4. Place the rice mixture into your dish, place in refrigerator for at least 4h or until set. (I prefer to let it cool overnight.)
5. Cut into squares or slices
6. Cover with tin-foil and enjoy your ride!
Main goal is to add nutritional value and taste to the rice cake, which is mainly determined by personal taste/ preference.
- (Willie's favorite) Honey,chopped dates, Almond flakes and cinnamon.
- Honey/ sugar, Cocoa, almond flakes (nutella/ peanut butter)
- Apple tart: Honey/ sugar, cinnamon, pieces of dried apple.
- For the sweet tooth: condensed milk
- Other things you could add: cream cheese; sultanas; cranberries; peanut butter; Nutella; mixed nuts; vanilla essence; baking chocolate/ dark chocolate chips.
- Coconut milk could be substituted by apple juice or any other milk according to personal preference.
Rice cake should be stored in the fridge/ freezer.